ACNE AWARENESS MONTH
Acne is the most common skin problem known - currently affects 60 million Americans.
WHO GETS IT?
• If affects men, women and children of all ages.
• Some people are born with the gene and will suffer from it no matter what.
• Almost all teenagers get some pimples at sometime.
• Common during puberty as oil glands come to life.
• Men and women with hormonal changes.
• Increase oil production and dead cells on the skin lead to clogged pores and bacteria build up.
• Worsened by hormones, certain medications, diet (high glycemic index sugar), stress.
WHAT TO DO?
First steps to prevent and treat.
1) Wash your face two times a day.
2) Find over the counter products.
• Benzyl Peroxide Wash - Panoxyl (can bleach clothes if left on)
• "Noncomedogenic" make up or products
• Use daily sunscreen that helps acne - Elta MD - Clear at Velum Skin & Laser Center. Cetaphil oil control and others.
• Remove make up and dirt from face nightly.
• Shower after exercise.
• Avoid picking or touching face.
3) Vitamin D in food or supplement at least 400 units a day.
4) OTC Acne control products available at Velum Skin & Laser Center.
5) Consider a facial chemical peel, light therapy or a quick injection for acute pimple.
Call our office for more information. Velum Skin & Laser Center (406) 656-1244.